Friday, December 5

rain

The weatherman promised me rain. He said it two or three days in a row earlier this week, holding it out there, baiting me, telling me that the warm, sunny days would finally hide for a while behind dark gray clouds and drizzle. I held my breath, anxiously anticipating some wet stuff.

It's 75 and sunny outside today.

I wish I could say the same for my insides. The holidays have so far been harder than I expected. I had finally arrived at a place where the Dec 19th anniversary of my dad's death, plus his absence at the holiday table (or phone call home) was merely melancholy. It didn't feel raw, just sad. Things were good. I was healthy. I'd grieved and cried, I'd processed and coped, I'd healed quite a bit. I liked it.

But as I entered Thanksgiving tired and sick, the sudden reality of my non-pregnant state hit me hard. As soon as I knew the baby was gone, I grieved the loss of a Christmastime pregnancy. After being pregnant during the summer last time, I was relishing the cute Christmassy tops I would buy. I anticipated being able to feel kicks, and to rub on little bumps from feet sticking out of my tummy (ok, maybe that would have come after Christmas, but I was hoping).

Something about the arrival of the holidays, though, made this loss much more real. And I'm raw once again. It feels like five years ago all over again. And as the world has attacked me this past week (no joke - it's been a week when I've been assalted left and right) and I've not had time to stop and find support, the rawness of my heart has increased.

Last night it started to make sense to me. I knew I had been grieving. I knew the 10 days of sickness and lack of sleep were wearing on me. But last night I realized that, just as I was starting to come to terms with this miscarriage, I have been thrown back into the turmoil of grief.

And it's raining on the inside.

This time around, though, I'm striving to find joy in the midst of the stinging pain. I'm not going for happiness or giddiness, but for joy in knowing that Jesus, who suffered tremendously, came that his joy might be in us. In fact, the name of the blog was inspired by that verse.

Don't you just love when God gets ironic? I thought I was being so spiritual with the name of my blog; God was thinking of the challenge it would provide for me only months later: turning to my Source of joy in the rain.

3 comments:

mejane said...

Oh Jen...my heart aches for you. I've never had a lost like yours so I won't pretend to know what it's like, but I totally get it. I feel the pain trough your words. Thank you for sharing with us and making us part of your life through its ups and downs. We are here for you always. I will pray that God deliver you through this storm and that His joy fills you from within.

Anonymous said...

My heart is broken for you my friend- I'm so sorry for this downpour that you are in. I desperately wish there were some magic words to transport you to that time where the ache is just an ache and the missing of people in your life only encourages your hope for heaven. I can't take your place but I do stand beside you. The heart of someone I love is suffering and so my heart is aching for you. You're in my fervent prayers and I ask God that he would draw you close and sooth you wounds.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen,
I'm so sorry. You deserve AT LEAST to have your weather derams come true.
Thank you for sharing your heart here. And good for you for noting that you haven't had the time to reach out for support. This is a great forum for that.
I shared this with k over the weekend and you and your family have been in our conversation, pryaers and hearts. No matter the number of times I have a friend suffer a miscarriage, I can't get over how much it hurts- and how resilient and brave my friends are.
Let's get together and have coffee or something... Are you off?