Monday, January 11

how do you say goodbye?

It was pouring rain that Sunday in February when we laid our eyes on a sweet, brown-eyed girl. We went in search of a puppy to add to our household, and we found baby #1. She rode home on my lap in the backseat of our SUV, all wet and shy. She'd come from a home with approximately 100 dogs, so we started trying to guess which breeds she had in her: Chow Chow for sure (she has a purple tongue), perhaps some of the German Shepherd I'd dreamed about as a child, some boxer maybe...

That was five years ago.

Keiko fit into our family in no time, flat. She was our travel dog when we took car trips, she was our trail dog when we went hiking, and she was our water dog when we went to the bay or beach. She was always nervous on the waverunner but her love for and devotion to us were so fierce that she couldn't help but tag along.

When we had Pink, Keiko lost her place as #1 baby. In all honesty, it became a struggle (at times a huge struggle) to fit her in to a baby/toddler routine in a cramped condo. The morning and evening walks weren't bonding time as much as they were another chore to be accomplished in the midst of a busy schedule. But even when I wanted to find another home for her, desperate to take away the burden of regularly caring for her, my heart was grieved that we had lost the glory days with her.

Last night, we watched as a red Ford Ranger disappeared into a sea of traffic with our brown-eyed girl inside. She is moving in with my brother and sister-in-law in their new house in Phoenix. She will be better for it. They will be better for it. We will be better for it. Even Pink, who reminds us regularly, "But, I will miss her," will be better for it. Somehow. Right now, it just feels raw, like we somehow lost that baby #1 and became a family who didn't deserve her, and I'm sad that we can't have her back. We could, of course, if we moved to a pet-friendly apartment and changed our schedules around quite a bit. Or if we had a house with a yard. But really, she will be better because of the change and the new family who will love on her as she needs. And we will focus on what lies ahead with two girls and two working parents.

It was sunny and beautiful the day we gave her up.

How poetic that the weather was just as ironic the day she found her way into our hearts as it was the day we let her go.

5 comments:

Mary Zolene said...

Ohhhh this brought tears to my eyes. I will be praying that you have peace. She will enjoy Phoenix!!!

EveryChapter said...

Your family was always good enough for her- God just had plans to enrich P & E's lives and relieve some or your burden. I'm sorry that the goodbye was hard. It was sunny on the day I got Chase and snowing when I left him in Oregon- and he IS so much better (and slimmer) for it and I am so relieved.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! She misses her family as much as they miss her!

Jessica @ May the Beauty said...

So sorry Jen. I can't imagine how hard that was for you, let alone having to stand your ground with and comfort your child through it.

Y'all can come visit Echo any time.

Gotta admit a tiny portion of a percent of me is just the ittiest bit jealous. No dog hair. No dog farts. No getting skunked at 6am.

It's only the tiniest little inkling though.

Grace Anne said...

Oh sister!! You made me tear up and she moving in with our brother!! I feel silly right now the thought of leaving Scruffy breaks my heart! I'm sorry you had to give her up!!