Thursday, May 27

well, nevermind

Those seniors who gave me a lump in my thoat, who worked their way up to passing? Yeah. They (read: a large percentage of the 550 total seniors on campus) had organized a mass water balloon fight at lunch. Two Assisstant Principals were hit numerous times, and needless to say, heads are rollin' even as I write this. Lunch was cut short, seniors were sent to the gym, and even I was a bit scared as our looks-scary-on-a-good-day principal stripped them of all remaining senior activities and threatened to take away their graduation ceremony.

So I guess maybe they're not quite as ready as they seemed the other day when they were all dressed up for their professional, mock interviews. Uhn-hunh. Not quite as grown up. But I still can't help but feel excited for them and their ignorance, and laugh at their immaturity, much as a wise freshman teacher once told me that to laugh at farts in class is to embrace the personhood of each student. This stinks, but it's a part of who they are.

No comments: