Monday, June 28

maybe i'm not accepting my age well

Really, the numbers hadn't bothered me all that much the past couple years. Turning 30 wasn't as hard for me as it is for some, and 31 & 32 passed uneventfully.

However. As a "happy birthday" present this year, the DMV sent me a license renewal notice with a picture required. I sat in the car in the parking lot to touch up my makeup & hair, attempting in vain to hide the signs of aging that have bombarded me the past few months as 33 approached, as well as the annoying post-Lizzie "baby hairs" that are growing out and looking altogether lovely. Thoughts of commercials promising a reduction in the visible signs of aging started running through my mind, and I wondered why I hadn't prepared more vigorously for this day by exfoliating & penetrating & shrinking & minimizing.

And it hit me even harder than it did on my b-day: I will never again, as long as I live, look young. Sure, I don't get offered senior citizen discounts, and I do look like I'm in my 30s (with the amount of sleep I usually get, it's often my late 30s), but I will never again pass for a 20-something. If I'm carded, it will be by some 20-something kid who's trying to butter me up for a bigger tip. I look old, and there's no going back.

OK, not OLD, old. But you know, old. To the teens I teach, I'm somewhere in the same group as their parents. To the kids at the local college, I'm in that "your old but your hair's not gray, so I don't have to be nice to you, right" age group. And these days, when some guy pays attention to me, it's because my child is making off with a candy bar at the store and he's warning me of the impending shoplifting charges, should she get away.

Sigh. Aging. How did this happen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't aging bizarre? I swear most days I'm 28. And then one of the kids I work with calls me "old" to try to get my goat.
Also I was way too excited the other day when some customer said I was "too young to be the manager." Way too excited.