Monday, February 14

remind me later that i like this

When Lizzie experiments with the sticking properties of guacamole by placing a guac-covered chip on her hair and leaving it there... remind me that I love her personality and age.

When the screaming & crying of 3 at once make me wish my ears didn't work... remind me that someday this house will be eerily silent.

When I can't eat my gave-the-intersting-stuff-and-protein-away-to-my-kids-anyway lunch because, try as I may, I can't master talking with the on-call nurse, feeding a 15 month old, and nursing a newborn AND eat at the same time... remind me that I was too busy to even feel hunger, and that really, my heart was getting fed.

When the on-call nurse scolds me a bit for not taking my 2 week old in for (gasp!) congestion, a 98.7 temp (which I now know is too low for a newborn), and waiting a few hours to call in about her eye infection... remind me that the err-on-the-side-of-relaxed attitude is worth striving for in most situations. And while you're at it, remind me that I'm not a bad mother just because I don't have a medical degree.

When I've told my 4 year old to sit on her bottom and EAT! ALREADY! for the 4,567th time in a given day... remind me of how much I value the role I have in preparing her for life.

When I know I'm sick, but don't have the time to bother with myself... remind me that I spent years hoping I'd have a house full of kids, close together in age, because in my heart of hearts I love chaos more than I love being well & well-rested.

When my laundry is piling up or I don my slippers because there's a few too many crushed Cheerios on the floor... remind me that I'm trying to take this to heart as I parent. "This too shall pass" doesn't just apply to the bad stuff in life, but to the priceless, as well.

Yes, that's it. I feel much better with all the reminders. Thanks.

1 comment:

EveryChapter said...

Oh you do, you love it. The ache of no baies is I'm sure quite worse than the exasperation of many. And messy will pass- really it will...

Just remind me too okay?