Friday, September 19

No ER visit, at least.

Well, at least not yet. But I did wake up waaay to early (8:00) considering the fact that I got three hours of sleep two nights ago. But who's complaining? Not me, no way! OK, so I brought Pink in bed with me, where I heard "Hi mama" at least a dozen times in two minutes, in between head bonks and an almost-broken nose. Eventually my eyes stayed open and focused. She climbed down off the bed, walked away, and came back bleeding. Now, this was an honest-to-goodness injury, but nothing to even call the doctor about. She was FINE. Really. I've learned this week, though (thank you, skinned knee for the education) that my girl does not like blood. Maybe because her mommy gets nauseaus at the mere thought of it. And her daddy runs the other direction, screaming like a little girl. In fact, he sounds a little like his little girl (alright, that's a little dramatic; he only runs and screams like a man). Ah, I digress. She doesn't like blood and she means business. This is a problem when it's coming quite fevrently from a place on her body that she can put up nice and close to her face, such as, say, her wrist. It goes something like this: she takes a better look at this owie and then screams, "mama, owie, kiss it, make it better, MAMA!!!" I guide her wrist away from her face, apply pressure (don't I sound official, like a mommy-nurse?), try not to think about the blood gathering on the tissue, and she starts to calm down a little. Until she goes in for a good look again. Repeat the above several times.

Finally, I get her to the sink to clean it out and apply (gasp!) a bandaid (mean mama). I put one on my wrist, too, and got her to at least stop screaming for a while. I suggest we get our hands on whipped cream (mama's redemption) for breakfast and she enthusiastically agrees "yes, mama, whi keen ssstabcks." Bet you didn't know that whipped cream has a very high nutritional value! When it calms down 2 year old girls enough that both girl and mommy can eat breakfast, it's downright superfood quality! See? nutritional value. Again, I digress. We manage to get dressed, an enormous effort when one's wrist is rendered unbendable and untouchable (maybe she's dramatic, too?). And what awaits us at the bottom of the stairs? A present from Keiko's (our dog) sick tummy. All over. Next to the toys. In the middle of the pathway through the living room. THANK YOU Keiko's tummy, thank you! And good, on-top-of-it mommy and homemaker that I am, I tip-toed my way toward the door, grabbed my purse, and headed for Starbucks to get my crying-once-again girl some whipped cream. And coffee for mama.

Incidentally, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back! Yes!!! I miss fall; in San Diego I have to get pretty creative to make it feel like fall when it's 90 degrees outside. Dye my hair dark red. Burn pumpkin spice candles. And drink these delicious lattes of the gods! If you dare to be one of those "Starbucks" people, order it with one less pump of syrup than normal, and have them add one pump of chai (thanks for this tip, AnLiss). Just don't, for the love of Pete, skip the whipped cream. Nutitional value for mama, too. Oh, yummy goodness!

4 comments:

Shermanators said...

So those Lattes are really good? I've wanted to try one, but was worried I wouldn't like it. If Abby likes it, I guess I will give it a try! :) (the whipped cream at least!) :)

Jen said...

Abby isn't allowed yet; she's just having an extra-special milk with whipped cream. But mommy lives for the lattes, and I usually don't like sweet coffee.

Anonymous said...

Whipped cream is ESSIENTIAL to PS lattes! I'm excited they're back too. Poor baby with her banged up wrist, although I have to say it cracks me up that she hates bandaids- every kid I know is addicted- except for sweet Pink. Lastly, just so you know, every self respecting mother would have tip toed out the front door and left the mess for later- if you're going to do I big job you need the right tools- like coffee, (and whipped cream). :)

Jen said...

I know! since when are bandaids such a bad thing? I even offered Dora, but... no. Oh well. I guess she doesn't really need to heal or anything. OK, I'm going back to work now. Promise.