It's no secret that we had to wait a long time for this little baby, all the while hearing stories of, "you have no idea what you're in for," and "I don't think you really understand what it's like to have two," etc. Bitterness reigned in my heart on many a day. But my loving Father has graciously given me so many blessings in this current pregnancy.
It's not necessarily "better" to have a baby die, or to have to wait through grief and impatience for another one to come along. I've learned through a history of trials that working things together for good doesn't magically turn bad things into good things. But it does mean that our ever-creative, ever-loving, ever-powerful God can give us good, even when we have experienced bad.
Case in point: At dinner a couple nights ago, I read from the pregnancy book which sits on our dining room table. About to turn 19 weeks, I read the newest measurements and developmental feats. It seems the little DW is currently developing his or her unique set of fingerprints. Last night when Pink was saying hello to the baby, she informed him/her that "Baby, you have fingerprints now!"
Thanks, Lord, for the good things that come from the bad. My little Pink is old enough to keep track of the baby's in-utero development, a concept that baffles my own mind. :)
1 comment:
Reading this post reminded me of this passage from a quiet time a had about a month ago that I loved. Be patient with me as I try to share this:
It's Psalm 90:15-17
15Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, for as many years as we have seen trouble. 16May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. 17May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us, establish the work of our hands for us - yes, establish the work of our hands.
I love that the psalmist says 'Make' and 'May' at the beginning of v 15&16, because he's almost demanding very much trusting that God will make good out of affliction and troubled times. I feel like v 16 is so connected to v15. when he asks for God's deeds to be shown to him, it's like he's asking because he knows that during v15, HIS deeds were still being accomplished- we can never see them at the time, but we can know and trust that always he is 'working all things' like you said. And v 15 is a great 'discipleship/generations' verse because its asking that we would see his deeds in our affliction, we would be made glad for them- and that when our children... (of any kind) see what was affliction and trouble for us they would ONLY see HIS splendor!! HIS deeds and HIS splendor is what gets passed on... and HE really does make it beautiful, I don't know how.... but some how as you are experiencing... He does!!
I feel like v 15 is 'past' v 16 is future (and present) and v17 is present. That in the reality of v 15-16 we live trusting in v 17.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I don't know quite how to communicate what happened in my head when I came across it. But I am grateful that I continue to see the implications (in your post). If it doesn't make sense let me know... I can try again to explain what I mean.
I love reading your thoughts and seeing pictures:)
My first comment... hopefully of several to come.
Love you and it was great hanging out with you guys recently... hope you didn't hurt to bad in the morning for staying up too late:)
Post a Comment