Wednesday, August 5

observations on the south, part I

Three days in Charlotte plus a layover in Atlanta led me to this:

Awfully nice people. Lovely, really. They'll kill you with kindness through that sweet drawl if you're not careful. And yet there is a relatively-constant presence of invasive cigarette smoke there. As these two opposite qualities don't seem to match up well, I am left to assume that the juxtaposition is some sort of homage to the founding tobacco plantation owners/farmers. Bless their sweet, misguided, 18th century hearts.

The airport in Charlotte actually has a screened-in (well, w/ glass) front porch with a view of the planes and, are you ready? Rocking chairs! Tons of them, all lined up. And wooden ones, at that. If I had slept more than two hours during my night of travel to that point, I'd have been tempted to trade in my coffee for a lemonade and sit a spell with a hand-held fan.

I either traveled 2000 miles or just up the road to LA - there was a "Terminal Getaway Spa" there. I could've had a facial right there in the airport if I'd wanted, sufficiently marked up in price of course.

Sitting outside in the South at the end of July brought Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer to life in a way that Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland never could. The humidity hangs so thick in the air I swore I caught some in my hand.

Somehow I had precious little need for my sunglasses. I did, however, have a strange hankering for a pretty hat.

and... not related specifically to the South but rather to my trip in general:

An unwise time to leave one's baby at home, for the first time ever, would be when one is spending 12 hours on 2 planes to go off gallivanting across the country - while pregnant with one's second baby (and therefore exhausted, emotional, and hormonal). After I was able to hold it together and wave goodbye cheerfully to a sobbing little girl yelling "mama" from her carseat, I ran to the nearest bathroom stall to hide my sobs for the next 10 minutes. Good times.

2 comments:

Mary Zolene said...

Yep- Hats is my favorite part about living in the South! That and being able to order sweet tea. Yum!!!

EveryChapter said...

Weird, weird, weird about the smoking part. Poor you and Pink. :( I'm glad God made up for it with the conference itself.