Thursday, August 6

observations on the south, part II

a few more notes from a California girl who was dropped in a strange but wonderful land:

The airports were beautiful, but somehow the intersection of Starbucks, Brookstone, and a NASCAR gift shop, in the middle of the food court, struck me as odd. I'm either incredibly ignorant or I'm officially not a redneck.

The train one must take to move between concourses in Atlanta (which I deduced was Southern-speak for "terminal") is part cattle-car and part "Listen-sweetie-you'd-have-better-decide-just-where-you're-a-headed-cause-the-rest-of-us-here-have-somewhere-impoht'nt-to-be!" That thing hauled off so fast I nearly fell over! I thought things there moved at a slower pace...

On the plus side, two lovely Southern-mama-types (at least that's what Southern mamas are like in my imagination) offered me a bar to hold on to and the sweetest "You have a nice trip, now" that I've ever heard in my life.

There are plenty of rude people there. There just must be. Logic tells me it must be so. But it's the accent thing again - it's deceiving, I tell ya. Or they're passive-aggressive in a way I don't recognize? Either way, I'm sure I was duped.

If I could spend an entire weekend sipping sweet tea (which, incidentally, was not served at the hotel) on a porch with BooMama and Lysa Terkeurst, I'd be one happy woman. I'm tellin ya, those are some funny girls.

Would someone please tell me why, in this great state of California, we miss out on the sheer joy of being called "huh-ney"? I miss that, and I'll have to go back one day just to get me a big dose of Southern drawl. Cause I love me some drawl, oh yes I do.

Can you tell I fell head over heels? Though it did help a bit that I spent most of my time inside a hotel, sheltered from the humidity and the bugs. Perhaps my view is a bit rosey, but I loved it just the same.

1 comment:

EveryChapter said...

Yup, it's the drawl. My Mama used to warn me about Southern boys just because she said the "Ma'am" and drawl and politeness would draw you in and then bang- same as any other boy underneath. I never had the chance to try out her theory but she did spend a considerable amount of time in the South...
And I have to say it again, "YOU SAW BOOMAMA IN PERSON?!" how exciting!, (not that I'm prone to celebrity schmoozing or anything...), and I've heard great things about Lysa Terkeust too...