What's THAT? Did my voice just ECHO in the hallway? I thought yesteday morning while lecturing about job application procedures.
I stopped myself mid-sentence and remarked to my students that I thought I just heard an echo of myself outside.
"Yeah, Ms. D., you're talking really loud."
"I AM?"
Said one student who had just gone to use the restroom: "Yeah, I could hear you, like, all the way down there."
"You could?"
And thus followed an explanation of how I was up until midnight w/ Beloved filing our taxes, up with my sweet baby from 2:30-4, and then up at the alarm's oh-so-annoying ringing at 5. Exhausted as I was, I rationalized to them, I drank an extra cup of coffee, downing it as they walked in the room at 7:30 am, earlier than the sun even fully woke up.
This is also the class that caught me talking at warp speed after drinking extra coffee a couple months ago during a particularly difficult, sleepless week. And this happens to be one of my favorite classes of all time - the winning combination of smart, witty, responsible, and hyper. So we know how to laugh together.
Which we did lots of yesterday morning, as I described my morning, my coffee fix, and a couple of the many reasons why it's not a good idea to trivialize sex, babies, and parenthood. Because, I warned them, they might find themselves yelling at people without even knowing it.
This morning's cup of coffee is disappearing much more slowly.
2 comments:
Ha! You did seem a little wired that afternoon. :) Sorry you had such a rough night...
Jenn, I love you! That was the best post ever!! You had me cracking up by the end and the shaking woke Tyler up!! =) I honestly don't know how you do it...you are my hero!!
PS Coffee is my best friend these days too!
Post a Comment