That beast of a virtue. It's the one thing that I have to learn over and over again through embarrassment.
As in: my father-in-law and his best friend decided at the last minute to stay with us on a Thursday when we hadn't finished unpacking our kitchen from the 2nd round of bug spray (I think we have a dining room table, but it may have been eaten by boxes of baking dishes and spices). We had almost every excuse in the book, but the fact remained that I had to welcome them into a messy home that smelled of bug poison. We can't even open our windows much anymore because there is a constant chimney of cigarette smoke outside our door. Gotta love condo living. And I couldn't cook them dinner because it would've made me sick. And we didn't have much of a place to offer them for comfort except for our couch-turned-dining-room-chairs and our lovely tv trays. To top it all off, I found out while I was at work that they arrived early, got the house key from Beloved, and let themselves in to take a nap. I didn't even have a chance to pick up the two wet diapers on the floor or do a quick under-roo checck.
And right at the moment I'm looking around everywhere but I can't find any evidence to show them that his son really did marry well. It sort of looks like he went into the sticks and picked out only girl who had a full set of teeth. At least I made a good joke at dinner.
Ah, humility.
2 comments:
I think that you keep a bug free home is a plus. Also the ability to open your home in any circumstance. And I bet they both felt the love and solidity of your marriage more than they noticed the (lack of) a dining room table. And with all that humility happening you managed to crack a funny? That's a lucky family that got you.
humility here is unnecessary I think
Tho I might talk to that smoker if you don't ;)
Silly girl....gracious is that word. I'm so impressed that you let hospitality overrule your pride in you home. I would have been a mess. In light of the company I'm sure they hardly noticed the dining circumstances. :)
Post a Comment