Thursday, November 5

confessional

About 20% of the time, I call my baby by the wrong name, but not in the way that most people do. My dad was horrible at this: he called my little sister by my name first (I'm the oldest), by my brother's name next (he's #2), by the dog's name (that's just sad), and even by his own baby sister's name before he'd finally get around to my sister's name. Sometimes, he'd just give up and call my sister "Whatever-your-name-is." She's still traumatized.

My problem is that I call my baby by names that have nothing to do with anything, specifically Olivia or Silvia. Mind you, neither of those are her name or even Pink's name. I don't know any Olivias or Silvias well enough to be getting her name confused. And neither name was on our list of girls names, so it's not like my subconscious is coming through here. I simply have the wrong names entering my brain. Beyond that, I simply adore her real name, first and middle. I love it so much that half the time I introduce her with her full name, just so I can hear it out loud. And yet, when I address her directly, I can't remember what her name is!

Poor thing - her mom doesn't even know her name and I'm the one that initially chose it! On the up side, I just may be one step closer to a bloggy name, since Olivia & Silvia would do absolutely nothing to compromise our identity.

4 comments:

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

calling my kids the wrong name is something i SWORE i'd never do.

now i do it all the time ;-)

Mary Zolene said...

Olivia is because you read my blog faithfully! Haha...

EveryChapter said...

You're so funny. I just gave up and call Odie things like "boo boo" and "mookie who" so there you go- hopeful she'll love me anyway.

Stuff Parents Need said...

I've realized that I call my baby "Angel" so often that I'm afraid she is going to think it is her name!